27 June 2009

The Daring Bakers: Bakewell Tart... er... Pudding

When this challenge was announced on the first of the month, I wasn't too excited. I had never heard of a Bakewell Tart and just reading the recipe didn't really peak my interest. What's worse, though, is Jonathan too keen on trying this either. I almost decided just not to participate this month, but when I went to the Daring Kitchen forum again today and looked at everyone else's completed challenges, I knew I had to make it. It came down to the wire, but I finished and I'm glad I did.

(Pulled the pan from the oven at 11:35 pm, on the day of the reveal.)

Because I finished this challenge in such a hurry, there are several things I would have done differently if I would have spent more time. First, I would have made sure that the butter was really frozen before I grated it for the shell dough (by the way, I think grating the butter for pie crusts, etc. is a great idea,) I would have trimmed the crust around the edges (I really didn't think about that one the recipe told me to and everything,) and, of course, I would have started earlier.


The frangipane.


Even though I started late I still decided to make my own jam since Lincoln and I went strawberry picking this week and we had a bunch on hand. I only made enough for this recipe, but it came out pretty well. I watched this video, which really helped since I had never made jam before. I'm pretty sure I will try that again (it was so fast!)


The tart came out very well, all things considered. It was delicious, as well as being relatively quick and easy. I don't think Jonathan is a big fan, however, so we'll see if I make it again. I think there is plenty of room for improvisation in this recipe that could yield some fun results, so maybe I'll try some variation of this on some future dessert Wednesday.


The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.

No comments: