01 July 2013

Winkler Botanical Preserve

We had so much fun on our hike the day before that we decided to go on another, although this one was much closer to home. The Winkler Botanical preserve is maybe 10 minutes from our house, but it feels like the middle of nowhere. They were hosting a summer camp near the entrance, but after we walked a short distance down the path we couldn’t even hear the campers. The path crossed a shallow stream and we decided to dip our feet in since it was another extremely hot day.

Lincoln knows that I like it when he puts his arm around Conan for pictures, unfortunately Conan is not always on board.

DSC_0506

This stream was the perfect little playground for my boys and we stayed there for the majority of our time in the botanical preserve. Mostly because I couldn’t tear Lincoln away.

DSC_0511DSC_0525

DSC_0526DSC_0533 (2)

DSC_0539 (2)

We finally did move on, but Lincoln soon lost interest in the actual hiking and it was almost lunch time so we decided to head home. I am excited to know that this little oasis exists, though, especially because it’s so close to home. We’ll be back.

DSC_0546 (2)

2 comments:

Lindsey Hicks said...

Ah Nature. This is what I miss about the east coast. We don't have this kind of beauty around here. Such beautiful kids too.

Hiking Along said...

Thank you Hillary and Jonathan for sharing this post about Winkler Nature Preserve, one I have vaguely heard about previously. I will have to check it out with my kids, 8 and 12. Thank you also very much for putting my blog on your blogroll. I recently changed from blogger to wordpress after frustration. Therefore, my new url is blog.hikingalong.com. I have written trail reviews of other hikes in the metro area. They are entitled "Trail Discovery for Kids". Most will be in a book I am writing called "Best Hikes for Kids: Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland" out next summer. You can follow my progress on the book on Hiking Along FB page. Thank you again! Happy Hiking!